Tuesday 24 January 2012

The Bargainista's Rules...

Bonjour!
Apologies for the lack of blogging for the past few days- exams and revision are competing against the fashion world for my attention. I wonder who is going to win?! I was thinking of ideas for my next blog, and then I thought about how we are still in the first month of January, feeling the crunch of Christmas. Meanwhile the news is choc full of politicians and the like declaring that we are amid a second recession. So how do the stylish cope with these demands? The answer is simple, the Bargainista's Guide Rules.

I know a good Bargain, being claimed the 'Jammiest' of all my family. In Northern translation, this means I am not one to pass up a bargain, freebie, or a huge saving of any kind. Dont get me wrong, if I have money to spend, it burns a huge hole right in my Topshop Skinnies, pleading with me everytime i log onto say, Urban Outfitters, Zara, Topshop ect ect. You get the idea- the list goes on. However, I have learnt a few tricks on the way to save you some pennies.

The first? Explore your options. If your like me and have 'Shoe Envy' disease, don't buy the first pair of shoes that takes your fancy when you walk into a shop. You may find a less expensive, but still as gorgeous pair somewhere else. For example, a gorgeous pair of staple black wedges. 


Topshop 'Salute' Ankle Strap Wedges, £62

New Look Chunky Ankle Strap Wedges £24.99



See? Almost the same! You would honestly be surprised at the amount of times I've walked into a shop and seen a pair a shoes/bag/belt for a lot less than when I previously saw it.

Secondly, don't skimp on basics. These are your key wardrobe essentials that, if invested wisely, will last a lifetime. Why do you think so much vintage stuff is in good condition?! The basics that every girl needs in her wardrobe are go-to vest tops/Camisoles; Jeans; and underwear. It may seem pointless buying a vest top for £10 more than somewhere else, but you would be surprised in the long run how much you could save purely by investing in key pieces. No ladies, that doesn't mean the new Balenciaga bag! My favourite place to buy staple vests, tops and camisoles are Gap, American Apperel, and All Saints.


Stiped vest http://www.gap.eu/

Unisex fine jersey tank http://www.americanapparel.co.uk/

Jeans. I want them to be sturdy, fit well, keep their colour and not end up saggy-around-the-bum. I buy my jeans from Topshop, DKNY, Levi, or Hollister. I have found them all to stay true to their shape, colour, size and they always look great to throw on. Jeans, if good quality, should look as good as they did the first time you put them on, no matter how many times you wear them. 7 for all Mankind, along with J brand to the most amazing high quality (albeit it high price) and are known to clad the bottoms of the rich and famous.
Buy once, wear always.


J brand jeans- 811 midrise skinny leg. http://www.jbrandjeans.com/



One of the biggest tips I have learnt is to Shop Online. You may be entering into unknown territory, but believe me there is a whole world out there! People scoop up bargains that the high street couldn't even dream of. Kurt Geiger sales, Topshop Sales, Urban Outfitters sales, and Zara sales are among the best there are. Many items which have sold out in store because some lucky so-and-so has snapped them up, will still be available online. I recently saw a pair of Nine West heels online in Kurt Geiger going for £20! Unreal.. I am also a huge supporter of Ebay and Amazon, home to thousands of pre-loved goodies just waiting for you to snap up. Designer clothes from the likes of Prada, Miu Miu, Marc Jacobs, Chloe, Acne, Missoni, and Alexander Mcqueen (the list goes on and on) will be sold at starting prices around £0.99! I recently bid on a Burberry Cashmere scarf (The iconic check!) sadly I was outbid at the last second for the grand price of £18. One word of caution though- thoroughly investigate the pictures before you buy and always check for authenticity.

My last golden rule is that I make sure I know when and where my local vintage markets and Outlets are. There is a flea market near where I live every Sunday which I regularly attend, and Ive picked up a few bargains over the years. There are often vintage shops in City Centres, and Ive picked up a lovely neck scarf in the past, along with costume jewellery, hats and bags. Be warned though- the stuff worth having is like finding a needle in a haystack, but prevail, and you'll be sure to dig up gold. Outlets are a great way to find reduced clothing from high-end high street or designers, if you want the labels but don't have thousands to spend! One of the best Outlet shops is TkMaxx. (http://www.tkmaxx.com/) They sell just about every designer brand, and again, even more bargains are to be found online.

I hope my little guide has helped you lovely ladies scout out some lovely bargains and be sure to drop me a comment if you've found any of these tips helpful :)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment